BNC XML Edition
- errors - known errors and inconsistencies have been corrected
- lemma information - added to each word to allow searches for lemma collocations with lemmas
- simplified part-of-speech information added - allowing searches for 'all verbs', 'any noun' etc.
- multi-word units: in response to popular demand, all items inside multi-word units have been assigned part-of-speech tags as well
- format - the new version is in XML, which means it is easier to use with different tools and also makes viewing the texts easier.
The new XML format makes the corpus usable with many other software tools, including even simple web browsers.
Space and system requirements
The corpus consists of 4,000+ texts files that occupy 4 Gb diskspace (unpacked). Once unpacked, the corpus files can be used with any software that can handle XML files.
To install the Xaira index using the automatic installation procedure you need 9 Gb of free diskspace, of which 5 will be deleted at the end of the installation. The installation procedure must be run with Administrator Privileges. It has been tested under Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista.
To use the corpus with Xaira, you need to install the Xaira client program on your desktop. It is currently available for Windows only. If you are using Xaira with a local copy of the corpus, installed on your desktop, you also need to install the Xaira indexes. The Xaira indexes occupy about 5 Gb of diskspace.
If you want to use BNC XML Edition and Xaira on a network, you install the corpus and the Xaira server system on your server, and the Xaira client on the desktops from where you wish to access the corpus. The corpus itself and the XAIRA server system can be installed on Windows, Linux, or Macintosh systems.
Please note that Xaira is not supported by the University of Oxford, and is no longer distributed with the corpus from March 2014.
Up: Contents Next: Licensing conditions